Unless you’ve lived in a cave for the past few months, you already know by now that this season is all about the 90’s (spoiler alert: the trend is about to fade away). As good kids of the decade, we’ve been happy to show off our hottest mom jeans, our coolest bombers and our most intricate “too cool to care” looks. Yet no 90’s look is complete without the accessories and nothing says nineties like our favorite neck wear, the choker. If you’re as nostalgic as I am, chances are that you’ve already made wire chokers the stars of your accessory collection for the season which are great ways to enhance your everyday looks. It’s time to step up your choker game a notch, by making a statement- with your neck. Here are four chokingly gorgeous ways to stand out in style:
// MINIMAL BLACK
- THE INSPIRATION: Dries Van Noten and Rodarte Fall 2016
- THE IDEA: Plain or adorned, black velvet chokers are quintessential of the 90’s (and super easy too!). For an edgier touch, experiment with materials (faux leather is a must) and oversized embellishments.
- SHOP IT: [Boohoo] [ASOS] [Farfetch] [Polyvore] [Miss Selfridge]
- WEAR IT: The beauty of a minimal black necklace is that it goes with everything. Wear it with your favorite pair of mom jeans and a cropped sweater during the day and a spaghetti strap dress worn with a white tee underneath for a night out.
// SO METAL
- THE INSPIRATION: Loewe and Lanvin Fall 2016
- THE IDEA: Huge, gold, and bling. Not exactly lightweight, but that’s a small price to pay for looking like a million bucks.
- SHOP IT: [Net-A-Porter] [Miss Selfridge]
- WEAR IT: It’s all about allowing the gold to pop, so pair your gold choker with a crisp white shirt and jeans or a black turtleneck. By night, let the jewelry steal the show by wearing a simple little black dress. If you go out, don’t be afraid to play the bling card all the way and mix it up with different length necklaces and large earrings- for once, more is more.
// CHILD’S PLAY
- THE INSPIRATION: Balmain Fall 2016
- THE IDEA: A choker that looks like a (very talented) child’s art project. Plexi, pearls and giant colored crystals are all welcome, as are bows and pompoms. Looking stylish has never been so fun.
- SHOP IT: [Topshop] [Dsquared]
- WEAR IT: Use the playfulness of your necklace to balance your more “serious” outfit, like a pantsuit, blouse and skirt combo. Obviously, the little black dress or normcore looks are also options.
// SHINE ON
- THE INSPIRATION: Lanvin Fall 16
- THE IDEA: Rhinestones, rhinestones and more rhinestones.
- SHOP IT: [Fallon Jewelry][Topshop][Miss Selfridge]
- WEAR IT: To de-dramatize the look, play the game of contrasts by making it clash with casual attire like torn jeans, vintage tee and sneakers. If you are planning a fancy night out, it complements velvet (another huge trend this season) beautifully.